Friday, May 20, 2011

Northern Exposure S1 E1 - Pilot


Summary (from Wikipedia): Dr. Fleischman arrives in Alaska and is informed that instead of working in a modern hospital in Anchorage, he will be the sole doctor in remote Cicely. He is greatly displeased by this unexpected development and tries frantically to get out of it. Many of the main cast are introduced.

Strange seeing this series "appear" like an 80's tv show.
It has that... look to it. Of course, I believe out of the first season, it starts to look like... well, Northern Exposure :P

Although the "neurotic Jew" stereotype has been done a bit much, Dr. Joel Fleischman is a character I can't get enough of for some reason. He's just... funny and not annoying. And it's especially funny seeing him being placed in a sorta worst-case scenario. Not just a fish out of water; a fish in space. Annoying some businessman on a plane with his "intriguing" exposition. I dunno; something about his voice or the way it's recorded.

Ahh, the opening. The theme. I may not have watched this show when it was on, but for whatever reason, I know the theme. It's somehow carved into my brain and it's incredibly memorable. The moose, Mort. That's it. The moose. Mort. Awesome.

Looking back on this episode, it's strange to see urban areas (even if it's inside) unless of course it's a dream sequence or something of New York. It's that look I mentioned; it's weird seeing that "Northern Exposure as seen in the 80's" sorta look, like the show is wearing a different skin, but less creepy, heh.

I've had those same moments as Joel here where you're headed into a situation you really don't want to deal with, but you muster up the strength to go through with it and swallow your disappointment, begin looking for all the positives in your situation. You get to the point of realization of your new situation only to find out, you don't have to deal with that situation! Yay... for a few seconds, then you learn your situation is ACTUALLY worse :P So, poo on you.

Ed is instantly hilarious. Playing Richard Barry in his truck, then stops the truck, gets out and leaves. As Joel yells after him, he says he's going home and tells Joel he can return the tapes to him later. LOL This is especially hilarious because it's basically Joel's VERY FIRST impression of Cicily, and he hasn't even stepped foot in the town yet.

Epic shot of Maurice's house. Why's Maurice spelunking off his roof? Oh well. He's an astronaut; he can do what he wants :P

Doessssssssss Maurice ask "where the f*ck's" Flushing, NY? I play it several times, and I cannot tell, but why would that be in a pilot of a summer replacement show anyway? Chances are it's not what it sounds like, obviously.

The town is so small, but nearly everybody knows each other or all act like a tight community. I envy people living there. Cold weather doesn't bother me; not knowing people in your town does.

Hey, Dr. Fleischman, this broken down empty dusty place IS NOW YOUR OFFICE.

It's funny that the sudden appearance of Marilyn is Joel's breaking point.

The Brick. Makes me think of beer and pizza (maybe the Brick part :\ ). Funny that a place people come together and try to deal with things is where Joel has his stressful first phone calls.

Maggie shows up and Joel just blows her off. Great intro. "What's that short for? Clemton? Clemlock?" lol

There are a few things that are a little predictable, like Joel's place to live and how he has to chop his own firewood, but it still has that Northern Exposure kind of... quirkiness that I don't see in other "quirky" shows.

Oh, lord, I didn't even think about that. Though Maggie doesn't tell Joel that there is no take-out in Cicily, I imagine that's something that he instantly hates about the place: no Chinese take-out, not to be stereotypical with Jews, but, hey, the show did it before I did :P

A mouse scurries somewhere then there's a snap. I think I may have laughed out loud with that one both the first time and this time.

There's so many little things going on in this first show. Lots of hilarious little moments and I'm only about 25 minutes in. I don't know how I'll be doing this blog of reviews, but I guess I'll fall into it naturally. I obviously can't cover EVERYthing about these episodes, but who knows; I might eventually.

I've heard that the music from the DVD sets are not the original music tracks from the original broadcast. I don't know how much a difference this makes because I love this show as it is that I'm watching. It makes me feel warm (and also hungry for a mooseburger) n__n

1 comment:

  1. i have practically worn out my NX dvd's. i think my favorite moment in the first episode is when joel gets in his truck and has a little meltdown. you can just feel the frustration. effing HIGH-larious. gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete