Sunday, May 22, 2011

Northern Exposure S1 E5 - Russian Flu


Summary (from Wikipedia): Fleischman's fiancee Elaine arrives for a visit, only to have the entire town come down with the flu, ruining their time together. In their delirium, the townspeople blame the helpless doctor. Marilyn takes it upon herself to prescribe a foul-smelling native remedy that cures everyone, but won't tell Fleischman what's in it.

Ahh, now we get to this episode, which, after watching clips on YouTube, I was awaiting, but I'll get to that later.

I believe Joel meant to say that he and his fiancee, Elaine, HAVEN'T been together for two months. He's probably saying that, but doesn't sound like it.

I can't wait to find the opportunity to call someone a "vindictive piece of shrapnel."

Good lord, I want a huge pastrami on rye from the Stage Deli :O

Ed's constant appearances at Joel's house reminds me of what he said at the beginning about everyone having the same key.

The dialog at the town meeting is aggrivating until Joel mentions the flu names and the townspeople attach to the option of it being Russian, then it just gets hilarious. The post-Cold War talk and accusing Joel of being communist is pretty funny. Crazy-haired Maurice.

I think I, too, would be desperate enough to heal my love by smearing possibly moose feces onto her body, but, oh boy...

I think this is the first strange vision/dream sequence in the series, which eventually becomes commonplace.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there it is. Twin Peaks homage. Friggin' sweet. It comes out of nowhere, too, but it's all good. The mock theme, the jazzy Angelo Badalamenti imitations. Mentioning cherry pie, coffee and donuts, the Log Lady, the snappy beat, a great, sweeping downward shot of Snoqualmie Falls. I love it.

I imagine it wouldn't have been hard to actually film at the falls. The fictitious town of Cicily was actually Roselyn, WA, just down the highway from Snoqualmie and North Bend, WA, where Twin Peaks (the pilot at least) was filmed and Twin Peaks was at it's peak at this time, so it just had to be done. I just wish the favor had been returned and Twin Peaks made a Northern Exposure reference in there somewhere, but NE wasn't nearly as popular at the time, so Twin Peaks probably didn't even notice its existence. Shame.

Feeling the pacific northwest flu? Try some Hi-oh-Hi-oh-ipsinio.

No comments:

Post a Comment